Some FC-2 questions

Hi all.

I have some rather generic questions about FC-2 (Kernel 2.6.10-1.9, AMD Athalon cpu) sound and CD recording.

CD matters:
The command "cdrecord -scanbus" returns information on both of the two CD drives on my system along with a note and two warning messages. The note advises that the software is an "unofficial", modified version of cdrecord with DVD support.
Warning message #1 reads in part, "inofficial libscg transport code version (Schily-Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH ....)".
Warning message #2 follows the parameter listing for my ATAPI CD-R/RW 24X10 drive and reads, "Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page."

Have others seen this second message on their systems? What does it mean with respect to functionality (useability) of the drive for writing CDs?

Sound matters:
Gnome hardware browser reports:
Sound cards - VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 audio controller device manfg by VIA Technologies sound card and a snd-82xx driver;
Pointing devices - PC Speaker, PS/2 mouse

When first used, the hardware browser did not list "PC Speaker" anywhere. That item only appeared after entry of "modprobe pcspkr" at a command line in root. Is it customary for PC Speaker to be identified as a pointing device?

On bootup, I have no sound at all. Each time I reboot, I must issue the "modprobe pcspkr" command to get PC speaker sound. Shouldn't PC Speaker sound implement automatically?

I get no sound at all from the motherboard integrated sound card (a problem I am not asking anyone on this list to address now). My question for the list arises from the fact that each time I reboot I find that volume settings on all sound control software are set to zero on launch. Is this normal? Can it be overridden?