Re: Using Red hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) at home

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 09:06 -0600, Nick Miller wrote:
> Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>
> > troyston campano wrote:
> >
> >> I know you usually pay for them, but if you don't want support,
> >> documentation or anything like that and don't have a RHN account is
> >> there a way to get a copy of a RHEL ISO for home use only?
> >

> > There are couple of "clone" distribution, for example White Box, Tao
> > Linux, and/or Centos.  They are basically identical to RHEL3 (all
> > packages are built from RHEL3 SRPMs).
> >
> > You can also download for free beta version of RHEL4 from Red Hat's
> > web site.  Versions of packages in RHEL3 are quite old, so if you want
> > something newer, might be a way to go (although if you want to test
> > installing commercial package <insert name here> on RHEL, you probably
> > want RHEL3 or clone since that is what most of them support).
> >

> How well does CentOS and other RHEL clones stack up toe the real thing.
> Do people use them as production enviornment replacements? I have often
> wondered.
----
It's the same software - so I can only presume that by 'stacking' up
question refers to externals.
- there is no official support, obviously not Red Hat but also vendors
such as Dell cannot officially support it. Unofficially, it is again,
the same software.
- errata/security updates... CentOS is quicker than White Box. I cannot
speak of the others.
- mirrors, updates etc. Both use yum - White Box has had some problems
lately with mirrors (NCSU dropped whiteboxlinux mirror as of 1/1/05). I
haven't used CentOS so I can't comment on effectiveness of mirrors.

Also note...RHEL 4 Beta is beta and when it goes final, there won't be
updates so it really is inappropriate for production use.

As for using RHEL clones on production systems - I do. Makes much more
sense to me than Fedora for production systems. I use Fedora on
workstations.

Craig