Re: Thanks for all the help... and a backup question

zoe*purdue.edu wrote:
[snip]
isn't enough. At the moment it is HFS+ (I don't believe it is possible to mount this, is it?) and contains all that remains of my Mac User days. I have

It is possible to mount HFS+ over firewire. :) People do that with their iPods. Google for HFS+ and linux.

[snip]
I know nothing about burning software on linux, (I imagine there is a simple command-line tool capable of these things) Is it be possible to burn my files

Try K3B for burning with a nice GUI. It's really quite nice. And sure enough there are comman-line tools (see the cdrtools package).

from the hard drive to DVD by mounting the Drive on the powerbook and connecting the two machines through ethernet? (Does Ethernet have enough bandwith to keep up with the drive?

Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) should have enough bandwidth.

If I pick a low burn speed might this be possible? Would I have to make image files of all the files to be backed up first, or can is there a way to burn files directly to disc?)

With K3B you can burn them "directly" to the disk, no need to bother with the making an image separately.

Is this even the best way to approach the problem?

I'd mount it on the linux box. The over the net burning would work too.

Good luck

Andro

--
Andrey Andreev