Re: Networking advice

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:58:07 -0800, Nifty Hat Mitch
<mitch48@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:52:33AM -0500, Leonard Isham wrote:

> > > I actually considered something like this, but what about those tenants
> > > that require a public IP?  Wouldn't a separate NIC be required on the
> > > firewall to bridge the connection for each tenant?  In that case, PCI
> > > slots would eventually run out (or there may be IRQ conflicts).
> > >

> > On my previous post:
> >
> > "Use a Switch capable of trunking, and a Ethernet card capable of
> > trunking in the firewall to allow multiple  VLANs on one physical
> > connection."
> >
> > Thrunking puts multiple VLANs on the same physical Ethernet cable.
> > Each VLAN is a seperate subnet.
> >

> What about...
>
>               Internet
>            Cable-DSL Modem
>          Network-N-port-HUB
>            |   |    |   |
>            |   |    |   \
>            |   |    |    \
>            |   |    |   CustomerFixedIP
>            |   |    |
>            |   |    \
>            |   |     \
>            |   |      \
>            |   |       \
>            |   |     FixedIP4
>            |   |   YourRouterFirewall-NAT
>            |   |            |
>            |   |        N-port-HUB
>            |   |       YourDHCPclients
>            |   |         \      \    \
>            |   |         Ten1  Ten2  Ten3...
>            |   \
>            |    \
>            |   YourServiceBox
>
> What you place behind the modem depends on the service
> you purchase in front.   There is little need to firewall the
> tenants from each other as long as they are connected
> to a switch so packet snooping is hobbled.

Snooping is hobbled, but quite doable.

My concern would be the unprotected, most likely unpatched, systems
getting infestations and creating problems for al the tennants.  I
just recently say an unpatched windows system with a public IP hooked
to a T-1 at a trade show.  15 minutes later it was infected, and
pegged the T-1.  Six hours later, after the troubleshooting the
problem, removing the worm, patching they system, installing
anti-virus and anti-spyware software that where back on-line.

In short if something like this happens to your tennants you will be blamed.

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.