Re: Newbie Questions.

zoe@xxxxxxxxxx kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai, 20.
tammikuuta 2005 23:37):
> Are there other, better
> options for a low-end system like mine?

The best option is to get more RAM.

> I cannot figure out how to mount
> my digital camera through usb (...)
> Under X-11 a folder called
> 'NO_NAME' appears in /media/ but it contains nothing.

Give the command "mount /media/NO_NAME"

> I have no idea which device I should be trying to mount.

Doesn't matter, the system takes care of that.

> Also,
> what format would an Olympus camera use to format XD cards?
> vfat?

Again, that's detected automatically.
Remember to "umount /media/NO_NAME" before unplugging the camera.

> 3.  I discovered the 'alias' command today, and was very
> dissapointed to discover that it only seems to apply to 1
> session in one terminal window.

Put the alias command in your .bashrc file.

> 4.5  If I do get a DVD drive, it seems that I might as well
> spend a few extra euros and get a new dual layer burner.  Are
> any of these compatible with FC3?

All of them.

> is there a hardware
> compatibility database anywhere?  Are there minimum hardware
> requirements for DVD burning which I cannot meet?

Your HD is too small, you need temporary space for the DVD image.

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka@xxxxxx