Slow Gnome Alt-F2

I'm running FC3 on a laptop that is working great, other than this one
little prob.  I've never seen this before and I'm not sure what to do
about it.  There are several non-standard and home-cooked rpms on the
machine, so the Applications menu is somewhat larger than it was
originally.  I don't think this has anything to do with my problem,
but I thought I would mention it just the same.

When I press Alt-F2 the dialog box to start a new program pops up
immediately.  I use this all the time instead of using my menus,
because that's the way I like to do things.  The longer I stay logged
in the slower Alt-F2 gets.  If the laptop is stationary for a few days
(like over a weekend) by Monday I will literally have to wait for it
to figure out that ged means I want to start gedit.  During this time
I can literally see Alt-F2 getting slower and slower until it seems
like it is faster to do things by hand than to use a computer.
Nothing else on the system slows down and a restart of gnome seems to
fixthe issue.  It just seems unnatural.

If anyone has any ideas on why this might be doing this, I'd love to
hear abou tit.