Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jan 19, 2005 7:58 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Craig White wrote:

> I know that I when I have had a poor experience in a restaurant but
> others haven't and the restaurant is successful, do I lose something by
> not going back, does the restaurant lose something because I don't go
> back or do we both lose because I have had an experience that I didn't
> want to part with?

I don't get the analogy.
As far as I can see, the restaurant used to offer meat or fish,
but now it only offers meat.
I prefer fish, and am asking that it be put back on the menu.

------James' Reply via Earthlink's Web Mail system------

Timothy:

And the resturant has the option of not offering fish because it is dangerous to eat.

To give you a better analogy:

The resturant stops offering fish, but will not stop you from bringing in fish if you sign a disclaimer.  You do and get sick anyway.  Is that the fault of the resturant?  No.

You always have the option of using fdisk to setup your system.  It is on the rescue CD.  However, you and I (and quite a few on this list) are aware of the dangers and what happens when you press the 'w' key.  A person coming over from Windows with just a basic understanding of how things work, would not do so well.  That is what DD is there for.  What I see as a solution is the 'Advanced' option with an appropriate disclaimer that has to be acknowledged by the installer when switching from DD to fdisk.  I believe this would be an acceptable solution to the 'us' vs 'them' problem (or that is how it appears to me to be.)  However, you have to also format the drives, and that is something that DD takes care of, again, automagically.

And (FWIW), I come from the days before MS-DOS.  It was fun formatting a 13" 'removeable' disk.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!