Re: Acessing external hard disk and flash card reader

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Sheo S Prasad wrote:

From the hardware information (/etc/sysconfig/hwconf or Infocenter) I see that peripherals external disk, flashcard and printer are recognized. However, neither the /etc/fstab nor the /etc/mtab has any mention of the hard drive and the flash crad.

The operating system let me configure printer. BUT I am unable to find a way to mount or use either the external hard drive or the flash card. I have spent one and a half day but cannot figure out what to do.

Look at your boot up messages. Since you mention that the external hard drive was recognized, it should probably say something about what device name was assigned to it. USB disks and CF cards tend to appear as SCSI drives, so you should see something like sda or sdb etc. You can try to mount them with a command like, say, 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdisk' etc (make sure a directory /mnt/usbdisk exists for this example).

Regards,

.lzs
--
Lai Zit Seng