Re: Selective update

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 09:07:23PM +0100, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:

> I'm running FC2 on a dedicated server.
>

> I'm going to install an httpd rpm package of my own wich is an
> apache 1.3.x.  I will name it httpd-1.3.33-1.
>
> - Is it a good idea ?

> As well as httpd is a 2.0.x on FC2's, I guess I'll have to tell yum not
> to upgrade it if a make a 'yum update'

> - What is the file into I should list the packages not to upgrade ?

Both yum and up2date have ways to specify  exclusions -- set it in both.

Just in case you need up2date to fix yum or some such thing you do not
want to have forgotten.

Since you are building your package consider changing the
location of the install files.  If you do it correctly
one package need not step on files owned by the other.

As a minimum inspect the list of files in both packages
so you understand the possible overlap.   This can help
you in organizing backups too.

Package building and managing outside of the main stream
of updates can be work.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.