Re: NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Once upon a time, Jonathan Berry <berryja@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:36 -0600, Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have a couple of systems with Radeon 9200 (RV280) that have good 3D
> > support under xorg though (and these can be had cheap in OEM versions
> > now).
>
> Just curious, but what kind of performance do you get with one of
> these?  (the 9200)  I'm not sure what kind of metrics there are on
> Linux.  About the only one I know of is glxgears.  What kind of frame
> rates do you get with that?  For comparison, my GeForce 440 Go with
> the nvidia driver gets about 1700 fps at 1280x800 (screen res, window
> is normal size) at 24 bit.

I assume you mean running glxgears in its default size window (which
appears to be 300x300).  On my Radeon 9200 (with 128M DDR SDRAM) with
xorg-x11-6.7.0-11 (FC2 system) at 1152x864 and 24 bit color depth, I get
2182 fps.  The only change from the default that I have done is to add:

        Option      "AGPMode" "4"
        Option      "AGPFastWrite" "on"
        Option      "EnablePageFlip" "on"

in my Device section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I only do 4x AGP because my
mboard is too old to support 8x).

This is an OEM board that I picked up cheap from an on-line place last
spring.  It has VGA, S-Video/composite, and DVI outputs; I'm looking
forward to the new version of xorg-x11 that I think is going to have
direct rendering enabled in dual-head mode.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>