Re: Questions re desktop 150 miles away.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:34:42 +0000, Sharon Kimble <skimble04@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am shortly going to be in the situation of installing Fedora Core 3 onto a
> new desktop for my sister, which is then going to be located 150 miles
> away, used intermittently and only to have short bursts of dialup internet
> connectivity for emails only. The only means of updating it will be through
> updates burnt onto a CD and posted to her.
>
> Therefore, some questions;-
> A - What folders do I need to copy to the CD for yum to use when updating
> please?

If you are going to send her a custom built CD with updates on it, you
could simply write a script that would do all the "rpm -i" or "rpm -U"
calls directly to packages that are also copied to the CD.

OR you could go to the trouble of creating an entire repository on
your CD with all of the updated packages, editing her /etc/yum.conf
file or creating a repository with your local information in
/etc/yum.repos.d... and then have her mount the CD and run "yum -y
update" from there.

The tricky thing is going to be having the entire repository on a CD.
In my opinion, you might be better off just knowing what packages need
to be updated, copying the rpms for those packages to the CD, and then
manually (or through a script) doing the updates.

If you are intent on doing it the other way, here is a link to an
article that discusses how to do this:
http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/22/1718242&tid=29&tid=23&tid=42