Re: Services

On 01/19/2005 07:14:47 AM, markf wrote:
Fedora Core 3 seems to have a lot of services running in the default
configuration.  Which of these are safe to deactivate?  I've got FC3
set up on an old PII 400 with very little memory, so I'd like to
eliminate whatever's not necessary.

Specifically, it safe to disable the following:
readahead
sendmail
xinetd
cpuspeed
nfs_lock
rpc*

This box wont be using NFS at all, and I can't see any reason why
sendmail should be running on anything other than a dedicated
mailserver.  xinetd similarly seems useless on a desktop computer.

You can safely turn xinetd off, though if I'm not mistaken - xinetd turns itself off if there are no xinetd services it is running.

Sendmail (or postfix) you need for cron - it is by default NOT listening to any external interfaces. It is used by cron to send output of cron jobs to the user, and is used to send logging information to root (which should be redirected to a user)

rpc I think is safe to turn off.

I'll be honest - I'm not completely sure about the others.