Re: Problem with ETH0:1

Paul Howarth ha scritto:
Franco wrote:

Tony Dietrich ha scritto:

On Wednesday 19 Jan 2005 09:05, Franco wrote:

Hi, i have 2 subnet on my network 80.xxx.xxx.xxx and 82.xxx.xxx.xxx,
i have a FC2 with a ip NIC 80.xxx.xxx.xxx and i have added a virtual NIC
eth0:1 with ip 82.xxx.xxx.xxx it work fine but in some case eth0:1 gone
down without error in the error log or other.
When i restart a network /etc/init.d/network restart it don't come
back up. I need /sbin/ifup eth0:1.
Any idea to resolve?
Thanks.

We already replied to you.

Yes this is the reply:
>>do a
>>$ less /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>>look at the structure of the above file, then build one that >>is structured equivalently but with your secondary ip-address >>keyed in $ vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1
>>then $ /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

Ok but i ask if i need to change only the ip or also the subnet and gateway.
This is my ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth0:1

# VIA Technologies|VT6102 [Rhine-II]
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=80.xxx.xxx.143
HWADDR=00:11:2F:04:0A:E5
IPADDR=80.xxx.xxx.138
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
NETWORK=80.xxx.xxx.128
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

MTU=""
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
ONPARENT=yes
BROADCAST=82.xxx.xxx.63
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=82.xxx.xxx.34
NETWORK=82.xxx.xxx.32
ONBOOT=yes
DEVICE=eth0:1

Here's what I use:

$ more /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0*
::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::
# Realtek|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.2.11
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet
::::::::::::::
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1
::::::::::::::
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:1
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=192.168.2.9
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
NETWORK=192.168.2.0
BROADCAST=192.168.2.255

The IPADDR, NETWORK and NETMASK will need setting for each interface/alias, but a GATEWAY setting is a property of a system, not of a particular interface, so it should only need to be set in one place.

Paul.

Seams that my configuration work, but in same case it stop to work with external ip, when it stop to work if i do a ping from the same server it
responde but not responde if i do a ping from external server.