Re: MySQL Install Issue

Thanks tony for that word of advice.

Thanks,

-B
Tony Dietrich wrote:

On Sunday 16 Jan 2005 08:05, Beri, Rohit wrote:

Damn the 'd'.... thanks Miles... I had installed mysql-server package
before just that I was using service mysql start...

I got the db running now... how or which client should I use to get
started quickly... this is my time with mysql db.

Thanks,

-B

Miles Brennan wrote:

so i finally went yum route, by installing yum install *mysql* and
yum install *odbc* ... now everthing seems to have installed but in
my KDE, i see no icons and there is no way i can start or stop
services for mysql.

service mysql start / stop returns unrecognized service....

Sounds like you only have the command line client installed.

Test with "rpm -q mysql-server"
Install with "yum install mysql-server"

Then "service mysqld start" (there's a "d")

Miles.

Rohit

System Settings >> Server Settings >> Services

Tick the box next to mysql in the list. Hit the toolbar 'Save' button. Hit the toolbar 'Start' button when the mysql line is highlighted. Close the dialog box.
Now you have managed to both start the server, AND set it so that the server will start automatically on the next reboot.

Install Webmin. Webmin has a mysql module that will allow you to setup, examine and configure mysql and the databases. Another way of administering mysql easily is phpmysqladmin. However, Webmin has much more to offer than just mysql admin.

Then, if you are planning on experimenting with linux much more, check out the man page for chkconfig.
That, combined with the 'service' command, will allow you command-line access to the same functions available from the GUI for services.

Read the manuals for mysql. Most beginners stumble on host/database/user permissions first. Always access any database through a user who has the minimum permissions neccessary to do the job.

One word of warning:
Don't play with the databades already installed by mysql. Create your own to experiment. The pre-installed database 'mysql' is a system database that holds user permissions, amongst other things.
(Does mysql still install the test database? If so you can play with that!)