Re: Grub Loader

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 00:43, David Curry wrote:

Please David, do not post to this list with html enabled.  It makes it
very difficult to pick the real message out of all that html blather.
For security reasons, virtually no one on this list runs their email
agent with html enabled.

><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
><head>
> http-equiv="Content-Type"> <title></title>
></head>
>Thank you, Gene.&nbsp; I infer from your grub.conf listing that the
>"default=11" specification in your grub.conf listing designates the
>default kernel for booting and the "fallback=9" defines the kernel
> for loading if the first one fails.&nbsp;

Correct

> I also gather that
> #&nbsp; in the first column signals a comment line that is not
> acted upon by the grub loader and enables one to insert entries to
> facilitate human processing.<br> <br>

Again correct

>I note that your grub.conf file lists kernels in descending order of
>age (earlier kernels before later kernels).&nbsp; My grub.conf file,
> on the other hand, lists the kernels with the latest first and the
> earliest last.&nbsp;

Not really, the order is purely whatever I feel I can do away with
when I'm adding the next build.  I have no idea how many entries grub
can actually handle, so I've set a rather arbitrary self imposed
limit of 17 including the dos boot, which is actually a drdos
install, but it doesn't work very well so I usually boot that from a
floppy.  But now, with the bios able to do its own upgradeing, I'm
not even sure there is a good reason to keep a dos partition around!

> When initially opened, my grub.conf file
> specified default=1.&nbsp; I changed that to read default=0.&nbsp;
> We will see what happens.<br> <br>

Yes, its numbered in a base 0 numbering system.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)