Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

David Liguori said:

> Actually, some of the rants against Disk Druid in this thread are a
> little over the top.  I do find DD by itself to be of little use, except
> in the most generic of installations.  In particular, DD seems perfectly
> happy to create primary partitions until there are no more allowed, with
> no way I am aware of to create extended or logical partitions.

My experience has been the opposite, with DD preferring logical
partitions.  In fact the dialog to create partitions defaults to creating
logical partitions unless you specify to create a primary one.

>  All I
> would request is that the option to use fdisk be returned to the
> installation proper, as in RHL distros of the past, instead of having to
> use some obscure and poorly documented combination of keys to drop to a
> shell.

The "poorly documented combination of keys" is the standard way of getting
to another virtual console.

> Would that really be such a big deal to do?  I don't mind
> continuing the installation with DD after partitioning the disk the way I
> want it with a more capable tool.  IMO anyone who checks the
> (non-default) box "fdisk (for advanced users)", finds himself over his
> head, doesn't quit immediately ("M for help" is clearly on the opening
> screen, and q for quit without writing the partition table is the obvious
> choic e listed), and hoses his system, gets what he deserves.

As previous posts by RH support personnel show, most newbies think "kool,
advanced users, I'll try that" (search for comments about the "expert"
option to anaconda).

--
William Hooper