Re: Amanda and the firewall

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Neil Marjoram wrote:

I am having a little hair pulling trouble setting up the firewall for Amanda backups.

I am attempting to use my Amanda server to backup a client which has the firewall installed, so far without much luck.

If anyone has got this to work or can advise me on what rules are needed I would be truly grateful.

I know so far that amanda will send a backup request on port 10080, this rule I've got.

Then the client will send back on a random udp port, this should be ok as I don't block any outbound traffic.

But now amanda returns to the client with three random tcp port connections, this is where I fail I think - someone suggested using connection tracking, but I don't really know enough about this.

In /etc/sysconfig/iptables-confg, add ip_conntrack_amanda to the IPTABLES_MODULES string.

Note that some 2.6.9 kernels had broken ip_conntrack_amanda modules. amcheck would work with such cleints, but actual backups would hang forever. Recent kernels should be better.

There are other amanda-related services at 10081:tcp, 10081:udp, 10082:tcp and 10083:tcp. I don't know if these are required for a functioning simple setup.

Thanks,

Neil.

-- Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences