Re: OT: computer arithmetic question on integer division

I hope I understand your question right! Pardon me if I'm completely out of target.

The only way I know to do divisions is repeating a subtraction until you get a null remainder. This is how mathematicians define integer division, if I'm not too much in error:

"given integer A and B, there is a unique pair of integer Q and R such that 0<=R<B and A=B*Q+R"

So you see that you only can get Q and R subtracting B from A until you get a non null remainder. This should work for positive or negative numbers, but it's easier to understand for positive numbers.

Mmhhh, yes, it's not very clear, sorry.

Globe Trotter wrote:
HI,

Does anyone know how the computer *actually* does integer
division? I understand that with powers of 2, it just does bit
shifting, but what about other powers, do you know?

(for example, 5/2 = 101/10 so shift the 101 by 1 and get 10, but how
does 5/3 work, lets say?)

Thanks and best wishes!