Re: MS Windows Toaster

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 00:49, Kevin Fries wrote:

> I have one program that is crunching our Microsoft Windows machines.
> So, I just bought a new server to host this application.  However, I
> am feeling a little mentally retarded right now, and thought maybe I
> could use Fedora to host two Windows instances and make them available
> via VNC.
>
> I looked at GSX and it seems silly to spend $1,600.00 just to save
> $1,500.00 on hardware.  So, wondering if anyone else has tackled this
> problem?

I'd give it a try on wine/crossover office first, but if you only
need a couple of instances and have plenty of RAM, you can try
running the desktop version of VMWare under vncserver.  That is,
start vncserver, connect to it on the screen number it gives
you, start vmware, repeat.  You'll be able to disconnect and
reconnect to those screens as needed.  If you run win2k server,
win2003 server or XP, you might get better response if you
activate terminal services and connect with rdesktop instead
of terminal services - and you might be able to get by with
only one instance of win2k or 2003 server and terminal services
but that ends up costing more.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx