Re: Which PCI Wireless card

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Moore" <jaymo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: Which PCI Wireless card

> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 02:12, Nicholas Comino wrote:
>> I'm looking to install a new wireless PCI card on Fedora 3 (core
>> 2.6.10). I am new to linux, and wondered whether anybody knew one that
>> supported linux (or fedora) especially well in terms of a good driver
>> that was easy to install.
>>
>> I would prefer a 802.11g, but am happy to go back to a "b" only. (The
>> router handles only b/g so anything faster is out of the question
>> unless it is in fact especially easy). I am talking about drivers, not
>> the physical installation. M-board is a ASRock K8 combo-z, (using the
>> skt754 option with sempron 3100).
>>
> I posted this a few weeks ago. I've gotten some feedback that it helped
> a few folks, so I thought I'd post it agin in response to your question.
> It was written for PCMCIA, but much of the same will also apply to PCI
> cards. Hope this helps...

> I think this has been asked many times in this list. It _is_ a FAQ, but
<<<snippity>>>

> In summary, if you want a card that's really supported under any
> open-source OS with no bullshit voodoo/proprietary/kissmyass binaries
> required then you must find a card that uses one of the "supported"
> chipsets (i.e. hardware). You will hear the term "Prism chipset" used;
> Prism chipsets were (are?) manufactured by Intersil - apparently they
> published enough data on their chipsets to allow folks to write drivers.
> Most of the other chipset manufacturers (notably Texas Instruments) have
> not.
>
> In this free-market economy we all get to vote... we vote with our
> purchases. So - if you buy a WiFi product that has open-source support,
> you are "voting" for the chipset manufacturers that support open-source
> software - you are telling them all that if they want your business, you
> require them to support open-source software. If, on the other hand, you
> buy a WiFi product that requires closed-source drivers you are voting
> with the "Windows crowd".
>
> The bad news is that there is no open-source support for the "newer
> technology" 802.11a & g WiFi (caveat: AFAIK - someone please correct me
> if I'm in error here). Therefore you're limited to a "mere" 11 Mbps
> under 802.11b  :) The good news is 11 Mbps is still pretty strong, and
> most of the AP appliances out there also support 802.11b.
>
> Well - I've digressed... hope this helps, and don't forget to "vote".
>
> Jay

Thanks for all the help and info. I've followed it up where I can. What I am
looking at is a Netgear WAG311T using an Atheros chipset. I'm still waiting
for the local shop to reply to an email confirming the exact chipset. That
one is a (super?) 802.11g which could reach 108mbps if I had a router that
supported that (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG311T.php#secure).
It is a little more expensive than a d-link with a prism chipset not to
mention being a bit of overkill. It is the least expensive atheros chipset I
can find (Australian $88). The MADwifi drivers claim to be able to support
a/b/g standards (http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/). I'll update you
on how it all comes together, but I am definitely voting linux this time
around.

~Nick