Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 01:54, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 01:38:54AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I assume there was supposed to be some sarcasm indicated there.  I
>> wasn't trying to be sarcastic, but dead serious in my objections
>> to DD, give me fdisk any day, anytime.  It does exactly what you
>> tell
>
>When you keep saying phrases like "drain bamaged", it's hard to take
> you completely seriously.

How the heck else am I supposed to get anyones attention?

> Furthermore, you haven't really offered
> any good alternative. Fdisk covers only a small portion of what
> disk druid does, and some of your objections don't even appear to
> be related to that part.

Maybe druid has some features I haven't seen, but IMO fdisk does
exectly what you want it to do, and does it very well indeed.  If
druid is so good, why doesn't it work?  Good question that...

>There *are* some legitimate interface problems, and you have some
> legitimate points -- but you then undermine them with this
> nonconstructive name calling and "it's gotta go" approach.

After my experiences with it, thats the kindest name I can give it,
dane bramaged or drain bamaged, depending on what falls out of the
mouth with the clearest meaning at the time.

>> it.  Trying to dumb the install down to the winderz user level may
>> be an admirable project, but in this regard its a miserable
>> failure.
>
>As someone who has to help a lot of inexperienced users, it's a
> godsend.
>
>It could definitely be better, for both new users and experienced
> users who want finer control. But these are merely small
> incremental tweaks.

Incremental tweaks?  Like a rewrite by wrapping fdisk in a gui maybe.
But I have my doubts even that will salvage it.  Its too dumb in the
first place, and certainly doesn't show the user the results until
its been done, and thats *way the hell and gone too late*.  The one
drive at a time display sucks the big one, and when it tries to do
everything on one drive because thats what was selected when you
clicked next, then its totally busted.

If there are any smarts in it at all, then write them up in a manpage
we can reference as we work against it.  But there is nothing like
that available at that stage of the install any more than the
ctl+alt+F2 will get you another usable shell so you can look it up.

>A larger project could be to detach the program from anaconda, so it
> could be run as a standalone program. But the basic approach could
> still be the same in that case.

"Basic Approach" eh, humm, my translator says thats marketing speak
for its a good idea but a broken implementation.  Been there, bought
the Tee shirt even.  Two washings and its not fit to wear in public.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)