Re: FC3 sound problems, Flaky FC3

Kerith Foster wrote:
Experienced similar problems when upgrading to 10.741 kernel. My onboard VIA soundcard stopped working.
All other kernels work fine with sound.
Don't see any headphone jack sense in my mixer.
But why is FC3 so flaky?
FC2 was much better after the initial partition problems.
It seems like we're not making progress but developing increasing less reliable cores.
Maybe we should slow down new Fedora innovations for a while and get the thing to just work as well on as wide a variety of hardware as Windows does.
Maybe that should be our "new frontier".
Right now we are in danger of looking amateurish.

There is some point in what you are saying, but as a typical end-user with no programming experience I disagree.

When I switched from Windows (better: 17 years MS-OSs) to Linux Fedora became my first joice, because it was the most advanced Linux I could get and therefor everything worked out of the "box". I had my issues with more conservative distros.

I would really plead that if there are issues they have to be solved by going forward. Because there are more conservative distros around, and if I really need a more conservative approach I would consider one of those. But that is not why I chose and choose Fedora.

And about FC3 being flaky. I have an issue with esound and cannot resolve it, but alsa is doing the job now for me, but I still hope, esound will not be distorted at some stage on my machine. But remembering FC1: as a newbie I really had to learn quite a lot about Linux to get things going. I had to configure config-files, learning how to define fstab and more.

With FC3 all devices on my machines are just working, udev is a little wonder-thing for an enduser on a standalone box resp. on a notebook. I enjoy that a distro sets it's task to be the avantgarde by pushing things.

As I said: there are other choices, and if I would want Windows back, I would just take it - with all it's advantages and disadvantages.

Regards
Markus Huber