Re: Add/Remove Applications & krb5-libs

----- Original Message ----- From: "Duncan Lithgow" <duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: Add/Remove Applications & krb5-libs

Thomas Cameron wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Duncan Lithgow" <duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 8:44 AM
Subject: Add/Remove Applications & krb5-libs

*when i try and use Add/Remove Applications it keeps reporting that it can't do anything until **krb5-libs is installed. That's part of **krb5-devel right? Well, I tried to install **krb5-devel but that gives the same response... can't install because **krb5-libs is missing.

This is stopping me managing my system. Any suggestions?

Duncan

Have you tried:

yum install krb5-libs krb5-devel

TC

I can use yum to install packages, but that's only online right? I can't see how to get them off my disk and then upgrade (if there's any real advantage in that). I've just put smart on my system to see what that's like.

Yum can be configured to use local filesystems. Just change the yum config file (look at /etc/yum.repos.d) to have a line like this in it:

baseurl=file:///var/ftp/pub/fedora/core/updates/3/i386

However, in your case I would grab these files off your installation CDs and install from there. Copy both files to someplace like /tmp and then run the command rpm -Uvh /tmp/krb5* and see if that does it.

I don't understand why something so central to a machines smooth running as keeping up-to-date is plastered by so many different programmes - and different approaches by different linux distros. What's up with that? Is there a history of linux lesson out there that I've missed?

Duncan

Yum is simply a front-end to rpm. It's a very intelligent front-end, understanding how to deal with dependencies and the like, but all those tools (apt, yum, smart, etc.) are really just tools to make the rpm command a little easier to use.

Thomas