Re: Nervious wannabe new user asks for advice.

--- thebearwitchproject
<thebearwitchproject@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  --- Tony Dietrich <td@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 Jan 2005 16:20, RoboticGolem wrote:
>
> > Check the documentation for your modem ... most
> ADSL
> > modems run a stripped
> > down version of a web-browser that you can connect
> > to when the modem is
> > plugged into the host machine.  This interface
> > allows you to setup the modem
> > with the neccessary setting to connect to your
> ISP.
> > The real problem after
> > that is finding out the right settings!
> > However, you mention that you have a Windows
> system
> > still .. so cheat!
> > The modem should retain the connection settings
> even
> > after a power-off, so
> > connect it to your Windows machine, run the disk
> > your ISP supplied, then plug
> > the modem into your Linux machine.
> > Linux *should* see the modem.  Demon Internet in
> the
> > UK supply a similar
> > modem, and their tech dept. *claim* that it is
> > compatible with Linux,
> > although I needed a multi-port ethernet modem, so
> > chose the self-install
> > route.
> > --
> > Tony Dietrich
>
> Unfortunately no documentation came with my modem. I
> got it with AOL, when I went to their broadband
> service, I stayed for a year and migrated to Central
> Point. The drivers running it in Windows came from
> BTs
> own website.

why don't you use scanModem utility from
linmodems.org?  Go to linmodems.org and download
scanModem.gz.  After you download it take it to your
linux partition and
# gunzip scanModem.gz
# chmod +x scanModem
# ./scanModem
Some files will be generated and you will be told if
the modem is supported under Linux.  If that is hard
to do please do as root user
# lspci
if it does not work su - root
# lspci