Authentication problem in sieve in FC3

I'm trying to get sieve working on FC3.

+ imapd works fine.

+ I can log in with sieveshell to add remove, list,... filters.

- But whenever a mail arrives that should trigger a filter I get an authentication error from sieve in /var/log/messages and the mail
ends up in the inbox.

The log message looks like this:
Jan 16 16:23:49 aslan imap(pam_unix)[28296]: authentication failure; logname=root uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=uno

The process mentioned 28296 is saslauthd

From reading the init.d scripts the saslauthd seam to get started like this:
saslauthd -a pam /var/run/saslauthd

saslauthd seam to work for other services, and among them cyrus imapd. If I connect with an impa client the output from
saslauthd -a pam /var/run/saslauthd -d :

saslauthd[28295] :do_auth : auth success: [user=uno] [service=sieve] [realm=] [mech=pam]
saslauthd[28295] :do_request : response: OK

However, when sieve is triggered by the reception of a mail to be filtered, I get no output what so ever from saslauthd when running in debug mode. Just the message in /var/log/messages mentioned above.

By the way pam is backed by ldap over TLS, and that seam to work. I can log in, I can change passwords.

The user root, and cyrus exists , and they even have mailboxes.

Any suggestions how to debug this or what could be wrong?

Regards
Uno Engborg