Re: Foolproofing Fedora

On 01/15/2005 04:50:17 AM, Ryan Turner wrote:

Specifically, I'm seeking for help with a two things: I want to remove the Red Hat Network update icon in the system tray; and run up2date from a cron job.

It would be better to enable yum to run as a service imho. Somewhere there is a control panel for enabling that.

Secondly, I'd like to modify what appears in the Applications menu (in Gnome). Some of the things listed there are totally extraneous for new Linux users. I'd like to simplify the interface so that Applications she needs will stick out, so she won't have to go hunting for them.

Make the bottom panel big and add application launchers to it. That's what I do - the apps I commonly use are all right there.

Finally, as a bonus, is it possible to remove the "Open Terminal" command from when you right-click on the gnome desktop? Though I didn't like Linspire myself, I was amazed at how well they "protected" completely ignorant users from the power of the terminal.

Why?
If she wants to use the terminal, let her. If not, she can close the window if she opens one by mistake.