Re: DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 23:09, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > No exactly.  It's more that
> > 1) Cyrus doesn't integrate closely with unix/linux user accounts which
> > may or may not be a good thing.  If you are an ISP providing email only
> > you may want that.  If you are an office providing file/ftp/print, etc.
> > services for all the same users you may double your setup work per user.
>
> Have you read anything from one of my previous mails?  Cyrus integrates
> with unix/linux user accounts just fine.  Should you choose to use it
> that way.  The default Fedora RPM config is to use unix/linux accounts
> (/etc/shadow file, to be more precise) for authentication.

Again, this may be a desirable thing or it may not. As Les was stating,
it's not for ISPs.

the /etc/passwd file (flat file) can only be scaled to _that_ much
users.

For ISP usage, it's undesirable.

> If you use cyrusv2 as local mailer in Sendmail, and you want to continue
> using forward files, simply tell Sendmail that there are local user
> accounts.  Default for cyrusv2 mailer is no local accounts (therefore,
> Sendmail will not search home directories for forward files), but that
> is only the default flag that is trivial to change.  I believe this is
> described in FAQ.  Again, this is Sendmail issue (or issue of your MTA
> of choice, if you are not using Sendmail),

The same thing exists in postfix. It's called "how much local processing
do you want to do to the mail before being handed over to LMTp to Cyrus"

> > 2) Cyrus is unlike anything else, so if you replace an existing system
> > you will have to re-learn administration and you'll probably break
> > things that users have taken for granted for years.
>
> The only granted thing you'll take from them is that they can't write
> directly into the mail store whatever way they please anymore.  IMO,
> this is a good thing, once implemented.  At least they won't be able to
> nuke their mailboxes in the most un-imaginable ways.

I think we're going off-base here. Even Dovecot has the same
capabilities. Meaning, virtual users and not in /etc/passwd

I'm asking about performance and general scalability of Cryus vs that of
Dovecot. I want to know which scales better,

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz