Re: Which PCI Wireless card

S. Bandyopadhyay wrote:
On 2005-01-14, 13:39 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > the same driver for the dwl-G520+??
> > > The real trick with any wireless card is to sort out which chip set the
> card uses. Also don't assume that two of the same model card has the
> same chip set, check that they are the same versions. Vendors will use
> different chip sets on the same model cards and slap a version number on
> that denotes the change. This usually means you have to use different
> drivers.
> > There are native drivers available for some chip sets like Atheros and
> Prism chip sets. Others you have to use ndiswrapper which lets you use
> the windows drivers for those chips sets (broadcom is an example).
> > So figure out which chip set the card uses then find the appropriate
> driver for that chipset.

Also be aware that ndiswrapper now requires a minor kernel patch (with
kernels 2.6.9-1.724 and later) in order to compile.

If the kernel gang is listening, is there a reason you removed

	EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(task_nice);

from kernel/sched.c?  That's what ndiswrapper wants (and one of the
reasons I asked about rebuilding modules and having them so darned big).

are you sure? with ndiswrapper-1.0rc2 and kernel-2.6.10* you don't need it anymore. from the ChangeLog:

* task_nice is not used anymore, so should compile with
  kernels where this is not exported

Ah, I was refering to the ndiswrapper-0.12 (latest release), not rc2 (release candidate 2).

Still curious as to why that symbol was removed from export.  Seems
pretty innocuous to me.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -