Why does building modules from source make them so huge?

Gang,

This is a really silly question, but when building kernels from the
source RPMs (it'd be nice if we had the old RHL-style "kernel-source"
RPMs, but one must do what one must do), what is the magic flag to
include to make the modules NOT have the whole symbol table included?

As distributed, the binary kernel RPM module suite is something like
55MB.  If you build it from source and do a "make modules_install", the
modules suck up over 200MB.  Running "strip" on any given module gets it
down to a reasonable size, but it doesn't match the size of the one
included in the binary RPM.

I'm obviously missing something here.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -