Re: FC3 - i'm disapointed

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kiryl Hakhovich" <administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 11:01 AM
Subject: FC3 - i'm disapointed

Hey guys,
I have to post it.

I have been using RH from RH 7.0
And was pretty happy with.

I would expect that, as you were using a commercial Linux distribution. FC is *not* a commercial distro. It's essentially a development environment, an open public beta for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. From http://fedora.redhat.com:

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc."

I love Fedora, but I recognize that it's going to be pretty rough at times.

Then moved on to FC1 then FC2.... and now FC3.

I hate to admit it but FC3 is really broken in general.
I do not want to start a new flame thread but here is a several items i can assume lot's of them has to do with kernel 2.6:
- usb drivers - not stable
- network - same
- some applications compiled on the system - crashes
- certain kernel updates - make system not bootable
- Open Office tend to load memory to the point that machine need to be rebooted
and list grows on a daily basis which is really reminds me a windowZ and nothing close what it was in FC1 on the same hardware for example.

I have no doubt that you've seen those problems. In my case, I have not. For me FC3 has been rock solid on several machines from a home-built P-III 800 to a Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook to a Compaq Proliant ML350 to a couple of Dell Precision Workstation 620s. I've run FC3 on everything from IDE to Ultra320 SCSI, on single and dual proc machines, on Intel, 3Com and super-cheapo generic NICs. All have worked as expected.

I am not for one minute minimizing your pain, I know what you are going through and I am sorry you are. I am just saying "take heart, not everyone is experiencing that."

I understand that this is probably inappropriate post, but i have been in pain since I moved to FC3.

If you need a stable, slowly changing distro you should really look at RHEL WS: http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/ws/. It's cheap, and if you are a student (or know one) it is ridiculously cheap. RHEL has pretty good support but not the insane rate of change of FC.

Does any one else experience as many problems as i do?

Nope, not me. I've seen others post with similar issues though, so I know it's happening.

Sincerely,
Kiryl

Thomas Cameron