Re: linux weather ticker?

Fritz Whittington wrote:

On or about 2005-01-14 08:16, Christopher A. Williams whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 02:10 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:

Globe Trotter wrote:

Thanks! I did find that and it works. Though a bit disappointing that it does
not allow me to display windchill (as opposed to the what I consider useless
dewpoint).

If you are using KDE, KWeather applet does display the wind chill. There should also be a way to make LiquidWeather display it, but I don't know how.

..And if you're using GNOME, there's the Weather Report applet that's
part of the panel. It uses Weather Channel data based on most (all??) of
their reporting stations. For temperatures, it includes a "Feels Like"
measurement, which I think is a combination of wind chill and heat
index. As a private pilot, this doesn't replace a complete weather
briefing for me by any stretch, but since the reporting stations include
most of the airports I routinely fly to and from and it has 2-click
access to a local radar map, it's a nice "quick look" applet.

Cheers,

Chris

Does anybody know the incantation to get the Gnome Weather Report to run under KDE? It seems a lot of the Gnome stuff will run under KDE and vice versa, if you just know how to get them up.

KDE has a nice little weather thing you can add to the panel (right click to get started). i used for a while last night - for some reason i had the urge to use KDE for a while. i do like the Gnome Weather applet when i'm in Gnome (most of the time) though.
jb