Re: FC3/Gnome CD audio question

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:23:42 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV
<tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:11:40 -0800
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >    I've found that a udev update through up2date fixed many of the
> > problems. Now the CD plays, but still no audio. I've turned up every
> > option in alsamixer. I enabled the Gnome sound server on start up and
> > I'm getting system sounds, but no audio from the CD.
>
> If this is a new machine (one that you haven't used to play CDs under
> Linux before), do you actually have an audio cable going from your CD
> drive to your sound card?  I had that trouble with a machine I built from
> parts a while back.

Good question and one I had wondered about myself. I don't know. It's
an eMachines box that had Windows XP on it but I never booted XP. I
just assumed it had a cable if that was required. Typically (on my
machines - this one is my wife's first Linux box) I use alsaplayer
which plays digitally and I do not have the audio cable. I guess
gnome-cd doesn't do digital playback?

I'll check the cable, and I'll check shich drive (DVD or CD) has the
cable. Could be either I suppose.

thanks for the feedback.

- Mark