Re: Dual boot Fedora Core with another copy of Fedora Core

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 19:18 -0500, ne... wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:56:13 -0600, Shashank Bhide <bhides@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >    When I install the second copy, should I install the boot loader on
> > the MBR or on the first sector of the /boot hard-drive (/dev/hda3)?
> No. No. Do not install a bootloader, use the current copy of grub.
> See below for an extract of my grub.conf:
>
> title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.737_FC3)
>         root (hd2,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.737_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=795 noprobe
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.img
> title FC3 64bit
>         root (hd1,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/sdb1 vga=795 noprobe
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
>
> I amended the second grub stanza so it would mimic an install in a
> single partition.

The problem with doing it this way is that you'll need to manually edit
the grub.conf file every time you upgrade the kernel in the second
Fedora installation (which will be quite often at the current rate of
turnover of kernels).

The way I'd do it would be to install grub on /dev/hda3 as you
originally suggested and then add an entry to the original grub menu to
chain-load the second copy of grub:

title Second Fedora Installation
	rootnoverify (hd0,2)
	chainloader +1

This will give you a menu item on your regular grub screen to load the
second installation's version of grub, so there's an extra layer of menu
to go through when you want to run the second installation. However,
both installations will now happily maintain their own grub.conf files
when kernel upgrades are done and no further manual edits will be
needed.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>