Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 185

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:00:51 -0500
From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Nervious wannabe new user asks for
advice.
>Personally I believe dual booting causes more
problems >for the user
>than
>it is really worth.  Kind of like trying to learn to
>swim by sticking
>just one foot in the water.  Just can't do it.
>
>People that want to convert over to using linux would
>be better served
>by first evaluating just what they use the computer
>for.  For example:
>web browsing (java, flash, etc), writing documents
>(word, spread
>sheets), palm pilots synching, mp3 playing, video
>editing, whatever.
>Make as complete a list as possible.  Then do some
>research (google) to
>find equivalent capabilities in native linux
>applications.
>
>Armed with that list load a system with linux and
>start working at
>getting all those same capabilities working that you
>had under windows.
>
>I loaded FC2 on my laptop which used to have windows
>2000 on it.  Wiped
>it clean for FC2.  At present I have all the same
>functionality plus
>some that I did under windows 2000 on my laptop.
>
>Doing duel boot or even using wine just holds back
the >user IMHO and
>can
>cause more questions and problems than it is worth.

This is unrealistic for a large cross-section of
users.  There are "killer-apps" that just won't run on
the other OS.  Your model may work for the very
limited usage model of web browsing, e-mail and
document preparation.

One example: when I was looking for a job, I was asked
to submit a resume in TeX.  I ended up getting it
kicked back in my face because it was in "some strange
Linux TeX".  Then another company's hiring manager
kicked my Word resume back saying that "we don't do MS
Word".  I ended up taking the second job and
eventually hiring the first hiring manager, since I
rightly figured that any company who distinguished
Linux TeX must suck.

Also, I use a VPN solution which does not link with
FC3 libraries.  Also FC3 is too unstable.  So I need
to keep a RedHat 7.3 machine around just to dial in.
If you do switching power simulation, it is tough to
beat LTSpice, which does not have a Linux port.
Alright, you might think that you are a simulation bad
ass and you can hand synthesize all your own device
models and fix the convergence problems in a patched
Berkeley Spice for Linux.  Well maybe you can, but
isn't it kind of a waste of time?

Of course, if you just surf web, I suppose it doesn't
matter.