Re: Which processes doi Really Need

On Thursday 13 Jan 2005 22:55, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 13.01.2005 schrieb Charles E Taylor IV um 23:50:
> > Funny thing is, if you do the right thing on your notebook and don't run
> > as root, you won't get these notifications.  They'll just pile up in
> > root's mailbox.
> >
> > Perhaps the Fedora installer should provide a way to hsve these messages
> > sent to a normal user account on the system instead?  (If it does, I
> > missed it.)
> >
> > Personally, logwatch (the source of the daily e-mails) annoys the ****
> > out of me. But I use Linux on a laptop, not on a server.
> >
> > *  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I fear not all can be automated. You will need to edit /etc/aliases and
> set the root alias (prepared and commented at the end of the aliases
> file) to direct to your mortal user. Then run newaliases to make the
> change active.

Or use WebMin to make the same changes through its sendmail configuration
module.  WebMin doesn't see the commented out root alias, so to you it'll
look like you are creating a root alias from scratch.  Personally, I find
this useful only if you are watching a machine from a remote location.  Leave
cron sending to root, fork the mail to both root and the remote user.

Clear the root mail account from the command line if you don't want it
building up, and you've seen enough from the remote system to be sure
everything is OK. Times I've gone on site after spotting a fault from a
remote site and wanted to look at recent cron output when I'm at the console,
only to find the *helpful* owner has diverted the emails completely away from
root and there is no local record.

cron emails are insurance.  Insurance is the invention of the devil, but when
you need it, there's no way to pay for it retrospectively.  Often the first
sigh of a problem comes via cron emails.  We all hate having to have
insurance, but I for one will pay the price.

--
Tony Dietrich