Re: Halt user, Shutdown user and CAP_SYS_BOOT

On Thursday 13 Jan 2005 22:30, Nick wrote:
> I have the need to enable (and make work) the shutdown and halt
> accounts. I set a password for these accounts and tried to use them and
> got the expected "you must be root" a colleague pointed out that I might
> need the CAP_SYS_BOOT capability turned on.

Make the account you want to use for this purpose a member of the shutdown
group. Set the shutdown program to allow g+x.

Add a line into the default shell rc for that user to shut the system down.

As soon as the the user logs in, the shell rc is read (before the prompt
appears) and the shutdown will commence.  Since the first thing a shutdown
does is log users out ......

--
Tony Dietrich