Re: Nervious wannabe new user asks for advice.

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 12:43 -0500, Temlakos wrote:
> Right now, I'd like to see a slightly less confusing way to mount a
> floppy disk, and definitely a "system-config-iptables" to help you
> configure precisely what zones you want to open (or what Internet
> domains), and precisely what ports, in the precise context you want.

Shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net) is your friend. The one line:

AllowSMB     net     fw

is enough to tell the firewall that you want to allow SMB requests from
the Internet to your firewall, for example. It works out the protocols,
ports, and IP addresses entirely on its own. Similar things like
AllowWeb, AllowDNS, et al. provide ease of configuration I find
unmatched and unparalleled in any other firewalling package, anywhere.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>