Re: APM support not found in Kernel ?

Now that i have "acpi=off", and my APM works, I tried to check my battery
usage;

(a) I tried to run my laptop on battery and worked fine to about 1.30 to
1.45 hr, before it got suspend command (tested 4 time, same result),
(b) Tried a reboot on battery power, Always got suspend before it was
totally up. My boot process takes 4-5 minutes for a complete boot.
NOTE: Batter is 100% charged for every test.

What could be draining the fully charged battery ?

Thanks

                      Matt Morgan
                      <minxmertzmomo@gmai        To:       For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
                      l.com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  Re: APM support not found in Kernel ?
                      fedora-list-bounces
                      @redhat.com

                      12/30/2004 02:39 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Matt Morgan; Please
                      respond to For
                      users of Fedora
                      Core releases

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:47:00 -0600, AdabalaP@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<AdabalaP@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mine is a "Compaq Presario 1277" laptop, How can i determine if this
> requires a ACPI or APM to have the fan running ?

You're running acpi now. Does the fan work? If so, you're done.

If not, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf (make a backup copy first). Find the
line or lines that start with 'kernel' and add "acpi=off" (without the
quotes) to the end of those lines. Reboot. Now you will be running
apm. If the fan works, then apm is probably what you want. If the fan
still doesn't work, I don't know what to suggest.

By the way, I learned all this by searching and reading the list
archives. It's fun--I recommend it. Find a link at the end of every
list message, or go to

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

where some good people maintain another archive (with a more reliable
searching tool) of the list.

good luck,
Matt