"Error Installing Package" sometimes in software raid

About 30% of the times I install FC3 on the rack server with software
raid it succeeds. ( I use raid --level=1 and two hard drives ).
About 70% of the times it fails with something like this:

<snip>
Fedora Core (C) 2004 Red Hat, Inc.

         +--------+-------+ Error Installing Package +-------+--------+
         |        |                                          |        |
         |  Name  | There was an error installing            |        |
         |  Size  | libstdc++-devel-3.4.2-6.fc3.  This can   |        |
         |  Summar| indicate media failure, lack of disk     | ment   |
         |        | space, and/or hardware problems.  This   |        |
         |        | is a fatal error and your install will   |        |
         |  Status| be aborted.  Please verify your media    |        |
         |        | and try your install again.              |        |
         |        |                                          |        |
         |        | Press the OK button to reboot your       |        |
         |        | system.                                  | Time   |
         |   Total|                                          | 8:17   |
         |   Compl|                 +----+                   | 6:58   |
         |   Remai|                 | OK |                   | 1:19   |
         |        |                 +----+                   |        |
         |        |                                          |        |
         |        |                                          |        |
         +--------+------------------------------------------+ -------+

  <Tab>/<Alt-Tab> between elements   |  <Space> selects   |  <F12> next
screen
</snip>

It is not always happening when installing libstd++. It fails at other
packages too.

I have tested the same installation on another identical rack server and
I got similar results there.
I have tested the same installation on a desktop machine and there I got
100% success rate.

I have tested installation without software raid on the rack servers and
there I have 100% success rate. That included doing the test of
installing on just hda and install on just hdc.

The installation of the rack servers are done over ftp. The serial ports
are connected to another computer running conserver ( from
www.conserver.com ), i.e. I have serial consoles.

Could someone give me some advice on how to proceed? I mean it could be
broken hardware, but the fact that it happens on the both of the two
rack servers and they both seem to have no problem with non-raid
installation might speak against the broken hardware theory.

I have searched the bugzilla database and on google without finding
anything similar to this.

I think the next test would be to replace the two hard drives in one of
the rack servers with the ones from the desktop computer, to see if it
is a problem with the specific hard drive model.

If I should report a bug in bugzilla, what do you think would be
valuable information?

What command output would be of special interest?

cheers,
Erik Sjölund

By the way, here is the output from lspci:

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133]
(rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 0583
00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South]
(rev 22)
00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 10)
00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 10)
00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 10)
00:07.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
(rev 30)
00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
(rev 08)