Re: Install FC3 with 2.6.10

Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
Okay, today is a great day!  I have finally been able to move from the
2.6.5 version of my kernel, that I have had on FC2 forever, to 2.6.10.
 The 2.6.9 version gave me problems with ACPI so I could not move
forward... not on FC2 and definitely not with FC3.  Which brings me to
my question...

FC3 ships with kernel 2.6.9, which I cannot run with.  If I install
FC3 I will have to disable ACPI just to boot.  Since I am running FC2
with 2.6.10, I am assuming that I can run FC3 with 2.6.10 and
everything will work fine.  My question is in two parts...

1. Is it possible to download an ISO of FC3 with 2.6.10 so I may do an
install from CD?

2. Since I assume the answer to #1 is a big fat "no," is it possible
to download the 2.6.10 updates for FC3 now, while I am still on FC2,
and apply them without any connectivity to the outside world, once I
have FC3 on the box?

This is critical as Linuxant's Driverloader -- my saving grace for my
PCMCIA NIC -- won't load with the 2.6.9 kernel in FC3 because of ACPI
issues.  So, I would essentially need to get FC3 with 2.6.10 before I
have any networking.

Thanx,
Ryan

Just what I think might work.

If you are going to do an upgrade, you could change the repos to reflect fc3 repositories. Then you could install the kernel (and deps needed) with yum, apt or up2date beforehand. Then you could use the fc3 discs to complete the upgrade.

If you are going to start a clean install, I'd at least download the 2.6.10 kernel for FC3 and attempt to install it on your existing FC2 installation and download any additional dep rpms. You could then burn them to CD or store them on a hard disk or other device that won't be overwritten during the installation.

--
Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse
for some of the brain-damages of minix.