Fedora Core 3 - sound test crashes system...

Greetings,

I have reached my wit's end with this one. I have been to a number of forums (linuxcompatibility.org, linuxnewbies.org, etc.) and am just looking for some kind of direction.

My Creative SoundBlaster32 sound card is recognized at installation and by the sound configuration tool after installation. However, when I run the sound test at either time, the system freezes and I am forced to restart.

When that happens, the startup usually stalls at "Searching for new hardware".

I have tried an Audigy card in addition to this one with the same result. I have made sure that the onboard sound for my Soyo motherboard was disabled in BIOS. I had installed Fedora Core 3 (previously Fedora Core 1) in hopes that with updated driver support the error might be flushed out, but no dice.

It sounds like some kind of hardware conflict (IRQ assignment, etc.) but I am definitely shooting in the dark.

Any kind of assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Michael