From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Locke
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 3:51 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Where is "Full Linux kernel source code

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 15:36, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:33:50 -0500, Ferguson, Michael
> <ferguson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > G'Day All,
> >
> > rpm -q kernel-source returns "Package kernel-source is not
> > installed" Where can I find it and install it.
>
> read the mailing list archives or the release notes
>
> --
> Regards,
> Rahul Sundaram

>From the release notes:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate
package for the kernel source code when that source code already exists
in the kernel's .src.rpm file, Fedora Core 3 no longer includes the
kernel-source package. Users that require access to the kernel sources
can find them in the kernel .src.rpm file. To create an exploded source
tree from this file, perform the following steps (note that <version>
refers to the version specification for your currently-running kernel):

     1. Obtain the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file from one of the
        following sources:

              * The SRPMS directory on the appropriate "SRPMS" CD iso
                image

              * The FTP site where you got the kernel package

              * By running the following command:

                up2date --get-source kernel

     2. Install kernel-<version>.src.rpm (given the default RPM
        configuration, the files this package contains will be written
        to /usr/src/redhat/)

<snip>

HTH,

--Rob