Re: [SOLVED]Re: sendmail problems

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> Paul Howarth wrote:
>>>What you should be worried about is how your system got into this state
>>>in the first place. Any ideas on how someone running as root could
>>>change the permissions of the root directory so that any regular user
>>>could create, delete and rename files there? For instance, on your
>>>system a regular user could run the command "mv /lib /trash" and
>>>completely break your system in a way that would be quite difficult to
>>>recover from.
>>
>> Thanks, this sorted it, and I've got sendmail working again.
>>
>> Regarding the other problem - the last sendmail message was at 0500 on
>> Sunday last ..... so its something that happened (or I did) between then
>> and now. I'm currently investigating.
>
> A couple of possibilities:
>
> 1. See if there are any files/directories owned by a non-root user in
> the root directory. That might provide a clue if there are any such
> files/directories.

None at all. No files and no directories.

> 2. Are you in the habit of logging in as root or leaving a terminal
> window with a root shell running? If so, you might have inadvertently
> typed a chmod command or run a script in the wrong directory, as root,
> by mistake. This is why people regularly recommend only switching to
> root when you really need to run a command as root, and then switch back.

The last time that I logged in as root was when I installed FC3 and set
myself up as the user which was 2004-11-10. Don't think that I left a
'root' terminal running. I tend to do something as root and then just exit
the terminal.

Its a puzzle, but thanks for the pointers.

Sharon.
--
 17:37:12 up 3 days,  3:22,  2 users,  load average: 1.48, 1.45, 1.36
A taste of linux http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/efever/index.html