Re: Can'r build glibc from SRPM

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:50:49PM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> >Do you use %buildroot macro in your ~/.rpmmacros or wherever else to
> >override the default %{_tmppath}/glibc-2.3.4-root
> >?
> >If so, you need to make sure that the string length of your buildroot
> >is shorter or equal to /usr/src/debug.
> >This is not specific to glibc, almost all other packages need that too.
> >You can grep the rpmbuild -ba build log for
> >install_root=
> >if you are unsure.
>
> Strange, I've never come across a problem with that, and I generally use
> the much-longer version recommended at:

Argh, meant to write longer or equal obviously (and it is not buildroot,
but $RPM_BUILD_DIR aka %{_builddir} what needs to be longer or equal to
/usr/src/debug).

So e.g.
/usr/src/build/number/BUILD/
or
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/
are ok while /tmp/build is not.

The thing is that /usr/lib/rpm/debugedit rewrites paths in
%{_builddir}/* to /usr/src/debug/* and it simplifies the program a lot
of it can assume only shrinking of the strings, not growing (otherwise
it would need to be a full blown dwarf2 parser/rewriter).

	Jakub