Re: proper way to write changes in grub.conf

On Monday 10 January 2005 12:04, John Aldrich wrote:
> Is there a nice GUI or something to help me make sure I don't
> screw up my grub.conf? I'm trying to make my mouse work better
> with my KVM and have edited the grub.conf to add the
> "psmouse.proto=imps" to the end of the kernel line, and have
> saved it, but I don't know how to properly write it to the
> system. I know if it were LILO, I'd just run "/sbin/lilo" as root
> and it would be updated, however, just running "/sbin/grub" asks
> for more options, that I haven't got a clue about!
>  Thanks
>  John

If you simply want to try different options without changing the
files, press the letter "e" at the grub display when booting up
before it times out.  Navigate to the kernel line and press the "e"
key again.  Now add whatever you want to test to the line and then
press "b" which will cause you to boot with that new line. This
line will only be in effect for the duration of that session and
this way, you've not made any changes to the system configuration
so it will revert back to the previous line next time you boot.

Regards, Mike Klinke