Re: Does downloading a torrent file continues in background when I logout a session?

Jim Cornette said about Does downloading a Torrent file continue in background when I logout a session?

>You probably should start the torrent from a virtual terminal. I believe
>that once the GUI is exited, so do the processes that were started
>within the GUI.

This definately applies to java based Azureus as well as btdownloadgui.  I think that if you use <Ctrl>+<Alt>+F2 to start a terminal session vice starting a Terminal session in the GUI (KDE or Gnome) and then start the btdownload process where you will have to provide the .torrent to download as a background process (add <space> & to the end of the command) will start the process in the background and will not stop the download process if the GUI were to unexpectedly terminate or you were to exit the GUI session.  I would not rely on starting a background session in the GUI through a GUI terminal session and then exiting the GUI session as the background process may be tied to the GUI session and be killed by cleanup processes (these are designed to kill off processes running when the GUI is exited and serve a 'good purpose'.)

>Personally, I run torrents from a regular terminal, so I can shutdown X
>at any time, still having the torrent running in the terminal.
This is exactly how I would do it, if it were not for my ppp connection dieing unexpectly after sixty to one-hundred twenty minutes of 'idle' time.

BTW, what is the command line for btdownload?  I might try it tonight to see if it runs better than a GUI program.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!