Re: cisco vs. dell switch on fedora

Skunk Worx wrote:
hello,

i am having a heck of a time getting a dell 5324 switch to dhcp directly to a couple linux boxes i have hung off it.

enabling portfast on the cisco switches instantly fixed this problem, so i was suprised to see no change on the dell 5324. it's like i changed nothing at all.

i have also disabled STP on the ports in question, but it still takes 1-7 seconds or more for the link to come up. this conflicts with a 5 second timeout in the network scripts.

for now we have upped the timeout to 15 seconds in the network scripts while we hunt for a real solution.

thx,
flash

thanks everyone we are looking into the firmware update and also a reasonable way to preload the network card module (don't want to build it into the kernel) as this will also work around the problem. i guess either grub or the modprobe.conf file will do this...something like

"install tg3 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install tg3 >/dev/null 2>&1"

like i say, just enabling "portfast" on a cisco port drops the link up/dhcp time to "negligable" but enabling "fastport/portfast" and disabling STP on the dell port drops it into the seconds range, but it jumps around with each try, instant once, but 7 or more seconds once in awhile.

all the ciscos are instant.

thx again,
flash