gconf boo boo

I tried to enable the second monitor output on my nvidia card. I believe it
is a Ti 4200. When I tried
to restart Xwindows, it wouldn't start. I reinstalled the nvidia driver but
that didn't help. There
was a message that stated my gconf had been changed but I didn't record what
the old one was
renamed.
  Can someone please give me a clue as to how to fix this? I can't seem to
figure it out on my own.
Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Bradley