Re: How do you know?

Maciej R. wrote:

I wanted to ask why you are using 'Fedora' and not for example 'Suse' or
'Debian'? What is the reason for choosing 'Fedora'?

As a user and non techie with a background of 17 years of MS-OSs I swapped to Linux - mainly because I was pissed off with all those vulnerabilities and viruses - I tried Linux about a year ago and chose RH9 and then FC1. Why?

1.
With Debian based distributions I was never able to connect to the internet and never found out how to through DSL (at least here in Hungary) - be it Knoppix, Gnoppix, Ubuntu: I am too stupid for that.

2.
I tried SuSE 9.1 pro (bought it) on the desktop and it installed fine and I could connect to the internet, but ... well ... it's a bit ugly compared to RHL and FC - and for me it is important that I like the fonts and the icons (warning: very personal viewpoint :).

More of a reason: I tried SuSE 9.1 pro on my HP zd7000 notebook and could not get the 1440x900 screen working (same modeline as in Fedora). So it is not usable.

And maybe I do not like the approach that you get all the goodies and non-open-stuff only when you buy a pro-version. It's a bit too much dependency on one company (very personal viewpoint).

I bought and tried SuSE once but it could not satisfy my needs and did not have the high aesthetical standards as I was used from RH 9 and FC.

3.
RH 9 and then Fedora worked always out of the box and it is beautiful (fonts, icons, and I like Bluecurve). For all issues I had I found solutions either through the Red Hat documentations or through Google searches (mainly from this list and that's why I am a subscriber to this list.

If you had a choice
between 'Suse 9.2 Professional - DVD Edition' and 'Fedora Core 3 on DVD'
what would you do?

Try both but I think I would stick to FC3. It's a more open project, through extra and alternative repositories one can get so many nice applications (and I learnt how to set preferences through apt, so I usually do not have issues with mixing repositories).

And it is still a beauty and I am not getting tired when I use it at work on the notebook and at home (and I read quite a lot on the screen).

--
Regards
Markus Huber