Re: Video-Streaming-Server

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 00:10, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > VidoLan Server sounds like the obvious choice, although VideoLan Client
> > has grown some serving capability too.
>
> I'm actually talking about VideoOnDemand. Will VLS work then?

It should, up to what your hardware can support.

> Do you
> have any experience in using/serving using it?

No, you can download Videolan client in handy forms for several
platforms and I've played with multicasting a stream from a
DVD and watching on several different versions, but you
have to build the server from scratch and I've never
needed it enough to spend the time it would take to
make it work.

>  What's the limitation in
> terms of Bandwidth/network latency/HD speed etc...???

If everyone on the LAN watches the same thing you can
multicast.  If you send something different to each it will
add up quickly.  There is some documentation here:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/

> I'm not even sure how to begin visualising the network infrastructure to
> support this. I mean, if it's for 1-5 users, OK.. what about if it's
> like a _big_ scale initiative? What does the _big_ ppl use?

I have service from Comcast that actually works but I have no
idea how they do it.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx